When I left the hospital Pops was tired but resting comfortably. He is doing much better. Here’s what we think happened…

He has been having pain that we thought was probably due to a pulled groin muscle. The pain kept getting worse and was confirmed Monday as a Femoral Hernia. He had an appointment for Tuesday (yesterday) with a surgeon to set up a date for surgery to repair the hernia.

He woke up at about 5 a.m. Tuesday (yesterday) morning in quite a bit of pain which he at first attributed to the hernia. Unable to get comfortable, he got out of bed and went to sit in his recliner. He drifted off to sleep but woke up to pain in his back. The pain worsened and unable to get comfortable he decided to head to the bathroom. Once there, he got very lightheaded and became afraid that he was going to pass out. He called for Mama to help him to the bed.

After a while he felt a bit better but he never did get to feeling good. For those of you who don’t know my Pops personally, he is not one to EVER admit that he doesn’t feel well or to ask for assistance or to say he needs to go to the doctor or the hospital. He got lightheaded several more times and the pain continued but Mr. Stubborn still refused to go on to the doctor opting instead to wait for his appointment with the surgeon already scheduled for later that afternoon.

Needless to say, the appointment didn’t happen. I happened to call the house when I was home for lunch and Mama answered as Pops was in the throes of projectile vomiting and STILL trying to argue that he didn’t need to go to the doctor. I had already learned that one of the signs to watch for with the femoral hernia was vomiting which could indicate that the hernia had strangulated and could pose a life threatening emergency. I called 911 from my house and sent the ambulance to their house.

We all converged on the ER from points all around Hampton Roads and, after what seemed like an eternity in the ER, Pops was admitted with what they suspect to be Pancreatitis. He still has the Femoral Hernia and they are watching it closely but it is now the secondary concern and the Pancreas is the primary concern.

Apparently, he passed a gallstone and, in the process, the gallstone entered his pancreas and got stuck before it finally was able to pass its way out of his body. This, of course, inflamed the Pancreas and caused all kinds of problems. The fact that he is diabetic didn’t help matters any either.

He was taken for an ultrasound of his abdomen this afternoon and we should get the results of that when the doctor comes in tomorrow morning. We will know more about what is going on then. We know they are looking for how inflamed the Pancreas is, whether or not the bile duct is damaged from the gallstone getting stuck, if any more gallstones are in the gall bladder now, and whether or not all of the enzymes and chemicals the Pancreas released when it was so angry did any damage to any other organs, etc. I’ll let you all know as soon as I know anything.

He is in Chesapeake General Hospital for now. When things get right and he is released, they will set things up for the surgery to repair the Femoral Hernia but that surgery will take place at Sentara Leigh in Virginia Beach. As a matter of fact, Pops said, if he has to have any other surgery due to anything going on with this Pancreatitis as well, he wants the surgery to be done at Leigh too.

Please keep us all in your prayers. Thanks Silverblue for taking up the slack for me.

  • Share/Save/Bookmark

Leave a Reply